Due to their durability, strength and timeless beauty, wood floors continue to be one of the most popular flooring materials in the world. However, in order to reap the many benefits of having wooden flooring, you must first understand how to select the best wood flooring for your home.
In this article, we’ll answer some frequently asked questions about wood flooring to help you learn more about them, as well as guide you to choosing the right flooring for your home.
1. What are the benefits of wood flooring?
- They boast a timeless and elegant appearance that will never go out of style
- They offer a variety of appearances; from grain patterns to colours, for different interiors
- The floors are easy to clean and maintain
- Wooden floors are highly durable and can last for generations
- When properly installed, wood floors improve acoustics in the room
- They are healthy for people with allergies (only if non-toxic coating is used)
2. Can I install wood flooring in the bathroom?
Although wood flooring can be installed in any room of your home, it is still a natural and porous product that can be damaged by moisture, especially if it is not properly sealed or maintained.
Wood flooring is extremely durable, but it is important to consult with your flooring contractor to determine whether a product is appropriate for use in the bathroom.
3. What is the difference between solid timber flooring and engineered wood flooring?
Solid timber flooring is available in long solid planks that are made entirely of a single hardwood. Engineered wood flooring appears to be solid wood, but it is made up of a relatively thin layer of hardwood bonded over a quality plywood layer. Engineered wood flooring is more stable than solid wood flooring.
4. Are wood floors good for homes with pets?
Wood flooring is relatively simple to clean and keep in good condition. They can withstand some scratching from pets if properly sealed with a strong layer of finish. However, not all woods are able to withstand scratches. As a result, it is critical to select a harder species of wood so that you can enjoy beautiful wooden floors without having to worry about your pets scratching the material.
Consider a rustic or distressed wooden floor finish to easily conceal signs of wear and tear, or a lighter wood flooring material to hide additional scratch marks.
5. Can I install wood flooring above other flooring materials?
Wood flooring can be installed over other flooring materials as long as the total thickness of the screed and flooring does not exceed 50mm in HDB flats. This also depends on the condition of your existing floors, as well as the type of wood flooring you choose. Speak with your flooring contractor to see if the product you selected can be installed over your existing floors.
6. How do I maintain my wooden floors?
Maintain your wood flooring by regularly cleaning it to prevent dirt and debris from scratching the surface. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials to clean the floor. Instead, use recommended cleaning solutions suitable for wooden flooring and soft materials.
Choosing the best wood flooring for your home requires careful thought. Instead of making decisions on your own, consult with a professional flooring contractor who can guide you to the material most suitable for your family.
Floorrich is your trusted, one-stop flooring provider in Singapore. We specialise in solid timber, engineered wood and non-toxic vinyl flooring. Contact us today for more assistance.