Flooring is among the essential elements in your HDB flat. During home renovations, the flooring installation and setup process can amount to a significant sum. Therefore, maintaining high flooring cleaning standards is key. Dirty flooring may jeopardise our health if it becomes a breeding site for bacteria. In Singapore, vinyl flooring has been chosen by many HDB owners as it is affordable and durable. This type of flooring is also among the best water-resistant options for heavy foot traffic. Cleaning your flooring on a regular basis is a great way to maintain it. With proper maintenance, your vinyl flooring will continue to serve you for a long time. Read on to learn more about how to clean your flooring the right way.
1. Prepare the necessary cleaning tools
- Broom and dustpan
- Soft sponge or microfibre cloth
- Soft brush
- 2 buckets (one for keeping cleaning solution and another for water)
- Strip mops
- Special wood cleaner such as Bona Wood Floor Spray Mop
2. Get your cleaning supplies ready
- Floor cleaning detergent
- Dishwashing soap
- Apple cider vinegar
- Alcohol wipes
- Baking soda powder
3. Begin the cleaning process
Step 1: Sweeping the floor
This step paves the way for subsequent ones. Sweep your hdb vinyl flooring thoroughly to remove dust, dirt and dry litter.
Step 2: Wet cleaning the floor
Use just enough water to clean your floor. Avoid spoiling too much water as excessive moisture may damage the glue between and underneath the vinyl material. Your floor should remain wet after cleaning.
Use just enough water to clean your floor. Avoid spoiling too much water as excessive moisture may cause discolouration of vinyl flooring. It should remain wet after cleaning.
Step 3: Prepare and apply cleaning solutions
- Use a floor cleaning detergent to remove stubborn stains and kill germs. Your house should smell fragrant after cleaning.
- Another alternative: Mix half to one cup of apple cider vinegar with a pail of water as a DIY cleaning solution.
- Otherwise, you may add a few drops of dish soap in the pail of water.
Step 4: Remove stubborn stains
There are dedicated methods to remove certain types of stubborn stains from hdb vinyl flooring. Look into the guide below and learn how to get rid of different types of stains effectively:
- A mixture of baking soda powder and warm water will be an ideal solution to remove food stains, for instance, juice or milk split on the floor. Use a soft cloth to rub the surface with the DIY paste.
- Ink stains can be easily removed by using alcohol wipes.
- If you want to eliminate scuffs or marks left by furniture dragging, rub the surface with microfibre cloth after applying some oil.
- Removing stubborn and hardened dirt stuck on hdb flooring is definitely a tricky process, same goes to vinyl flooring. One important note here: avoid using a knife to scratch off the dirt. A soft bristle scrub is sufficient to scrub them off.
- Tips: After the stain removal process, use a soft sponge with warm water to rinse away the cleaning solutions and residue.
Step 5: Rinse and dry
After following the aforementioned steps, you can now conclude the cleaning process by mopping the floor again with plain water. Then, dry it with a large cloth. This step helps buff up your vinyl material. It also prevents moisture from seeping in between and underneath your hdb vinyl flooring.
Meanwhile, you should avoid the following acts that might ruin your vinyl floor.
- Using steam mops
- Using abrasive or oil-based cleaners
- Drenching the vinyl floor
- Using hot water when mopping
- Using a steam mop to clean your vinyl floors
In general, vinyl floors are more hardwearing and water-resistant. A full and proper cleaning procedure is required to maintain its condition. With the aforementioned steps, keeping your vinyl floor in good condition is made possible. However, it is still best to seek expert advice from flooring companies to enhance the maintenance process.
At Floorrich, we supply quality wood and vinyl flooring solutions. Looking for an ideal flooring for your home? Call us today to find out more!